Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Walking Down Memory Lane


For those that don't know I am in Anchorage, Alaska right now. There is still snow in the mountains. My grandparents are still up here and doing well for themselves. It has been nice being here and remembering so much. Friends and family are treasures we sometimes lose, only to be found again when our luck is right.

Very few know of a sacred place called "B"ville. Up in the mountains that surround Anchorage, it sits on the back of FlatTop along a steep and twisty road. It actually is the road. You see B-ville is just a wide spot in the road that no one lives around. Back in a younger age I was introduced to this place by Brandan Narrell. Hence the name B-ville. Brandan, Jim, and I spent many a night up there. Sometimes we brought a truckload of pallets to burn in the bonfire, other times we just sat in the dark cold night. On rare occasion, we had others with us. Just a great place to watch the stars, the moon, and the most amazing view of the bowl of Anchorage. At night all the lights of Anchorage sparkle like stars in the sky. On a moonlit night like tonight you can see the surrounding mountains covered in snow.

Tonight I ventured up that old road to see if I still knew the way. Some places you never forget how to reach. I sat alone since Brandan and Jim are elsewhere. I couldn't help but smile as I looked around. The air was cold, I even saw my breath. Yet my heart and soul where warm. I closed my eyes and could see all the friends that had joined me there in the past.

So far Anchorage has been a great stop in my tour of things. It has been 9 and a half years since I left here. Things have changed yet stayed the same. Some people I have been able to track down, others I have lost touch with and can't find them where I left them. A few I wish I could track down. It is amazing how much you can miss someone. All and all though, I am having a great time.

I even got a special treat at the local museum where they hosted the Science of Star Wars exhibit. I took lots of pictures and had a wonderful time with three of my cousins and my grandad. It seems where ever I go I am not that far from a galaxy far, far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment