Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 5 - Death by PowerPoint

Wow, what a long day. Twelve hours of PowerPoint classes. They ranged from First Aid to what an IED is. I have been involved with so many things that has taught me first aid, it was difficult to pay attention. I will say this, the military is improving things. The new pressure bandage was really neat in how it worked.

I cannot describe the IED class per our instructor. What I will say is this, each day I am reminded of how dangerous this undertaking will be. I wont lie to you, I am scared. I hope that I can follow my training and be ready for the situations that I will face while there. I am not worried about the day to day stuff but I am worried about the travel. Going from Kuwait to Iraq will be when am placed in danger. Also when I travel to go on vacation and finally when I go home I will be in harms way. The rest of the time believe I will be on a base with a big wall and lots of troops that want me to live to do my job. Each day in training I am reminded that the enemy wants to kill me to put fear in their fellow citizens. I have to keep that reality in my head each day I go through this.

Well, the longest day is over and I am a "Go" at this point. Tomorrow I don't have to wake up early. I don't have to do much more than pack. Friday I will be flying out and I don't figure I will have Internet access for a few days. So if you don't here from me don't panic. I will post as soon as I secure Internet access.

The slide show option in this blog isn't working so if you want to see my pictures head over to http://www.flickr.com/photos/34885138@N08/. Enjoy!

Tonight I don't have a quote, but I do have a story that I was remembering today. Sean Dearing is my best friend and we met while I was in training at Lockheed Martin. I fell asleep in class one day and Sean bounced a pen off my forehead. Needless to say when I get in a long boring class, I imagine Sean there with a handful of pens ready to launch.

2 comments:

  1. In the shot of your locker I see you have all the essentials: Mellow Yellow (aftershave?), Star Wars books and what appears to be a brown Jedi robe hanging in the forground. Dont wear that gas mask for too long or your eyes will stay crossed. Also, is it just me or does the shot of you in your kevlar gear make you look like you are wearing some sort of absurd water wings around your chest. Come to think of it with that gear on you just made yourself your very own action figure! Gas mask optional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :: THWACK!!! ::

    Wake up!!!

    ReplyDelete